Technology

National Guard shooting suspect to face first-degree murder charge, Jeanine Pirro says

2025-11-28 14:45
677 views
National Guard shooting suspect to face first-degree murder charge, Jeanine Pirro says

US Attorney for DC says ‘many more charges to come’ following death of service member Sarah Beckstrom

  1. News
  2. World
  3. Americas
  4. US politics
National Guard shooting suspect to face first-degree murder charge, Jeanine Pirro says

US Attorney for DC says ‘many more charges to come’ following death of service member Sarah Beckstrom

Alex Woodwardin New YorkFriday 28 November 2025 14:45 GMTCommentsVideo Player PlaceholderCloseTrump announces death of National Guard member after Washington shootingInside Washington

Sign up for the daily Inside Washington email for exclusive US coverage and analysis sent to your inbox

Get our free Inside Washington email

Get our free Inside Washington email

Inside WashingtonEmail*SIGN UP

I would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent. Read our Privacy notice

The man accused of gunning down two National Guard troops in Washington, D.C., will face a charge of first-degree murder following the death of West Virginia service member Sarah Beckstrom.

The upgraded charge against Rahmanullah Lakanwal was first announced by U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro on Fox & Friends Friday morning.

“There are certainly many more charges to come,” she said.

Pirro had announced a day earlier that the Department of Justice would charge Lakanwal with assault with intent to kill while armed and three counts of possession of a firearm during a crime of violence.

“We are hoping that the more information we can get and the more investigations going on … the more we will find out about what actually happened,” Pirro said Friday.

Rahmanullah Lakanwal is accused of killing National Guard service member Sarah Beckstrom.Rahmanullah Lakanwal is accused of killing National Guard service member Sarah Beckstrom. (Reuters)

Lakanwal, a 29-year-old Afghan national, was taken into custody shortly after two National Guard members were shot roughly two blocks from the White House on Wednesday afternoon.

President Donald Trump announced the death of 20-year-old Backstrom Thursday night after she was critically injured in the attack.

A second guardsman, 24-year-old Andrew Wolfe, remains in critical condition.

Federal law enforcement officials have accused Lakanwal of shooting the service members in an “ambush” that is being investigated as an act of terrorism.

“It was a crime against our entire nation,” Trump said in remarks Wednesday night. “It was a crime against humanity.”

Lakanwal is believed have arrived in the United States in 2021 during Joe Biden’s administration and the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan. He applied for asylum in 2024 and was granted asylum in April 2025 under the Trump administration.

He had previously worked with the U.S. government, including the CIA, as a member of a partner force in Kandahar, according to CIA Director John Ratcliffe.

Trump has used the shooting to escalate his attacks on immigration and the Biden administration’s withdrawal from Afghanistan, casting the violence in D.C. as evidence of “the single greatest national security threat facing our nation.”

The administration will “reexamine every single alien from Afghanistan who has entered our country under Biden and we must take all necessary measures to ensure the removal of any alien from any country who does not belong here or add benefit to our country,” the president said.

This is a developing story

More about

jeanine pirroDepartment Of JusticeDonald TrumpNational GuardWest Virginia

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Most popular

    Popular videos

      Bulletin

        Read next