Sports

Mark Wood set to miss second Ashes Test as England dealt fitness blow

2025-11-29 10:10
374 views
Mark Wood set to miss second Ashes Test as England dealt fitness blow

Wood missed training ahead of the clash in Brisbane and is not expected to feature at The Gabba

  1. Sport
  2. Cricket
Mark Wood set to miss second Ashes Test as England dealt fitness blow

Wood missed training ahead of the clash in Brisbane and is not expected to feature at The Gabba

Rory DollardSaturday 29 November 2025 10:10 GMTCommentsMark Wood is set to be ruled out of the second Testopen image in galleryMark Wood is set to be ruled out of the second Test (PA Wire)Miguel Delaney: Inside Football

Join the Miguel Delaney: Inside Football newsletter and get behind-the-scenes access and unrivalled insight

Join the Miguel Delaney: Inside Football newsletter

Join the Miguel Delaney: Inside Football newsletter

Miguel Delaney: Inside FootballEmail*SIGN UP

I would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent. Read our Privacy notice

Mark Wood looks set to miss the second Ashes Test after sitting out Englandt's first training session in Brisbane.

The Durham pace bowler remained at the team hotel to rest an issue with his left knee while the remainder of the side returned to work with an optional session at Allan Border Field.

England have four more days of practice at the Gabba ahead of their day/night second Test, including two under lights, but it is understood that Wood is not currently expected to feature in that game.

The 35-year-old missed the entire domestic season after undergoing surgery on the same knee in March and also had a hamstring scare during the pre-series warm-up match against England Lions.

He was ultimately passed fit after being sent for scans but delivered only 11 overs while wearing heavy strapping in Perth as the tourists slipped to a two-day defeat. Although wicketless he cleared 93mph in the first innings and struck all-rounder Cameron Green in the helmet with a fierce bouncer, before seeing his speeds drop in a brief stint during Australia's chase.

Recommended
  • Ben Stokes says England are desperate to avenge ‘rubbish’ first Test performanceBen Stokes says England are desperate to avenge ‘rubbish’ first Test performance
  • Stuart Broad warns England about pink-ball ‘lottery’ in BrisbaneStuart Broad warns England about pink-ball ‘lottery’ in Brisbane
  • Like it or loathe it, Brendon McCullum is not going to ditch Bazball nowLike it or loathe it, Brendon McCullum is not going to ditch Bazball now

He has previously made it clear he did not expect to play all five matches Down Under, telling former England captain Michael Vaughan on Fox Sports: "I'll definitely not play five, I know that. I think it just depends. I think just review it after every game."

Mark Wood was absent as the rest of the England squad trained in Brisbaneopen image in galleryMark Wood was absent as the rest of the England squad trained in Brisbane (Getty Images)

England's two spare seamers - Josh Tongue and Matthew Potts - are currently in Canberra, tuning up in the Lions' match against a Prime Minister's XI. That gives them some welcome time in the middle, should they be called upon and the pair are due to link up with the remainder of the Test squad on Monday.

Tongue, who was the team's leading wicket-taker against India over the summer, would appear to be in pole position if a five-pronged pace attack continues to be the favoured approach, but spinner Shoaib Bashir and all-rounder Will Jacks are also on hand if they opt for a different balance.

Rain brought an early end to England's initial Queensland workout, but the players were able to spend some time getting to grips with the pink Kookaburra, albeit in daylight conditions.

PA

More about

Mark WoodEngland cricketAshesJosh TongueMatthew Potts

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Most popular

    Popular videos

      Bulletin

        Read next