Technology

Thai prime minister acknowledges flood response failures as death toll rises to 162

2025-11-29 10:09
635 views
Thai prime minister acknowledges flood response failures as death toll rises to 162

Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul has outlined recovery and compensation plans for the southern part of the country, where severe flooding has killed at least 162 people

  1. News
Thai prime minister acknowledges flood response failures as death toll rises to 162

Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul has outlined recovery and compensation plans for the southern part of the country, where severe flooding has killed at least 162 people

Via AP news wireSaturday 29 November 2025 10:09 GMT

Thai prime minister acknowledges flood response failures as death toll rises to 162

Show all 5Thailand Extreme Weather FloodingThailand Extreme Weather FloodingThailand Extreme Weather FloodingThailand Extreme Weather FloodingBreaking News

For free real time breaking news alerts sent straight to your inbox sign up to our breaking news emails

Sign up to our free breaking news emails

Sign up to our free breaking news emails

Breaking NewsEmail*SIGN UP

I would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent. Read our Privacy notice

Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul on Saturday outlined recovery and compensation plans for the southern part of the country, where severe flooding has killed at least 162 people.

More than 1.4 million households and 3.8 million people have been affected by floods triggered by heavy rains in 12 southern provinces, the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said Saturday.

Government spokesperson Siripong Angkasakulkiat said in a news conference in Bangkok that 162 deaths have been confirmed in eight provinces, particularly in Songkhla province which recorded at least 126 deaths.

The scale of the flooding and the high number of casualties have sparked widespread criticism of the government. Anutin told reporters Saturday that he acknowledged the government’s shortcomings in flood management, and said that when he visited the affected areas, he had apologized to the people “that the government was unable to take care and protect them.”

Anutin said the government would begin distributing compensation payments to those affected by the floods next week. He also outlined additional relief measures, including debt suspension and short-term, interest-free loans for businesses and home repairs.

The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation reported that water levels began to recede across all affected provinces on Saturday morning. Video footage showed local residents returning to their homes, which had previously been submerged, to inspect the damage. Furniture and personal belongings were seen scattered across the floors.

The flooding, which began last weekend, caused severe disruptions, leaving thousands of people stranded, rendering streets impassable and submerging low-rise buildings and vehicles.

The death toll in Songkhla province, particularly in its largest city, Hat Yai, continued to rise as rescuers gained access to residential areas that had been previously submerged. More bodies were recovered as rescue operations progressed.

Government spokesperson Siripong said King Maha Vajiralongkorn would donate 100 million baht ($3.11 million) to Hat Yai Hospital, which suffered extensive damage from flooding, and that the king would grant royal support for the funerals of all victims who died from the flooding.

More about

Anutin CharnvirakulThaiMaha VajiralongkornBangkok

Most popular

    Popular videos

      Bulletin

        Read next