Technology

U.S. Government Imposes Visa Restrictions on Haitian Official For Allegedly Backing Gangs

2025-11-29 08:31
607 views

The statement did not identify Fritz Alphonse Jean by name, but he confirmed to The Associated Press on Nov. 25 that he was the target of the action and denied the allegations.

Fritz Alphonse Jean, Haiti The U.S. government imposed visa restrictions on Fritz Alphonse Jean, a member of Haiti’s transitional presidential council, accusing him of supporting gangs and other criminal organizations. Via Reuters

The U.S. Department of State said on Nov. 24 that it had placed visa restrictions on Fritz Alphonse Jean, a member of Haiti's transitional presidential council, accusing him of backing gangs and other criminal networks and of undermining efforts to curb their influence.

The statement did not identify Jean by name, but he confirmed to The Associated Press on Nov. 25 that he was the target of the action and denied the allegations.

Related
  • Marines Guarding U.S. Embassy In Haiti Exchange Gunfire With Gangs Controlling Most Of The Capital Haiti Gang Violence
  • Haitian Gangs Threaten To 'Take To The Streets,' Leading Foreign Embassies To Advise Staff To Not Go Out Haitian police

"The United States remains committed to supporting Haiti's stability and expects measurable progress toward free and fair elections," the announcement read. "The Haitian people have had enough with gang violence, destruction, and political infighting. The Trump Administration will promote accountability for those who continue to destabilize Haiti and our region."

Jean served as the third chair of Haiti's Transitional Presidential Council from March through August 2025. The council was created after former Prime Minister Ariel Henry stepped down last year in the wake of sweeping attacks by armed groups. The visa revocation comes as tensions escalate inside the transitional government, where several council members have been maneuvering to remove Prime Minister Alix Dider Fils-Aimé less than three months before the transition period is set to expire.

Haiti is slated to hold elections by Feb. 7, the date when the nine-member council is expected to dissolve. Critics say some members are attempting to extend their grip on power and are pushing for a new prime minister who would support that effort.

Soon after speaking with The Associated Press, Jean held a press conference in which he called for Fils-Aimé's removal. He accused the prime minister of failing to improve security, strengthen governance, or move the country toward elections.

"We need a more proactive, more responsible government," Jean said in the statement.

During his press conference, Jean also accused foreign diplomats of trying to influence internal decisions within the transitional council, saying they pressured members as discussions intensified over replacing the prime minister.

"Once we started reviewing the possibilities of changing the head of government, members of (the council) started receiving threats of visa cancellation and other sanctions from the U.S. Embassy representative and the Canadian ambassador," Jean said.

He said the envoys clearly stipulated that "if we do not desist, we will face sanctions and visa cancellation," adding that the council "stands firm on combating corruption, state capture by few individuals, and operators involved in drugs trafficking, weapons and ammunition's proliferation."

As the U.S. announces new sanctions against Haitian officials, the humanitarian crisis in Haiti continues to worsen, fueling widespread violence and human rights violations that have spread beyond the capital, Port-au-Prince.

Data from the United Nations Integrated Office in Haiti show that between July 1 and Sept. 30, at least 1,247 people were killed and 710 others were injured in gang-related incidents or in clashes involving self-defense groups, civilians, and security forces. The U.N. also recorded 145 kidnappings for ransom and 400 cases of sexual violence during that period.

Related
  • U.S. and U.N. Impose Sanctions on Ex‑Haitian Security Official Over 2021 President's Killing and Gang Ties Dimitri Hérard, Haiti
  • U.N. Report: Gang Violence in Haiti Continues To Soar, Spreads Beyond Port-au-Prince to Rural Areas Police monitor street gang violence in Haiti (March 2024)

© 2025 Latin Times. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Tags: Haiti, United States, Gangs